|World Health Organization (WHO)|
Head of the Agency
Name: Mr. Oskon MoldokulovAgency’s Background information: The World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority on international health within the United Nations’ system. WHO was founded in 1948 to work for the attainment of the highest possible level of health by all people. WHO launched its activities in Kyrgyzstan in 1993. The Basic Agreement between WHO and Kyrgyz Government was signed in December 1994.
Job title: Head of the Organization
E-mail: [email protected]
Global Website: www.who.int
Agency’s Local website: Euro WHO Country Information Kyrgyzstan
WHO has 4 main leadership functions:
- To give worldwide guidance in the field of health
- To set global standards for health
- To cooperate with governments in strengthening national health policies and programmes
- To develop and promote the rational use of appropriate health technology, information and standards.
WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
In the 21st century, health is a shared responsibility, involving equitable access to essential care and collective defence against transnational threats.
Medium-term priorities for collaboration for 2008–2013:
- Improving health system stewardship and financing
- Strengthening the efficiency, quality and relevance of individual health services in the context of priority programs, emphasizing the leading role of primary health care
- Creating a sustainable public health service oriented towards the population’s needs and based on integration of health protection and promotion programs, wide inter-sectoral interaction, and active involvement of the population
- Increased preparedness and ability of the health system to respond to emergency situations
- Improving human resources policy through strategic planning, improvement of the medical education system, and human resources management
Estimated budget for 2008-2009: US$ 2,6mln
Major ongoing Projects
Health Policy Analysis Project (supported by DFID)
Budget: 2.9 £ mln for 2000-2010
Impact: Effective implementation of MANAS TAALIMI health strategy through better use of evidence, research work, survey, studies and briefs for decision making, strengthening health policy performance evaluation capacity of the MoH.
Manager's name: Mr. Melitta Jakab
Manager's title: Resident Advisor
E-mail: [email protected]
Main Agency’ Partners:
Ministry of Health
Ministry of Justice
Ministry of Emergencies
Swiss Cooperation Development
Swiss Red Cross
Main Agency’s Donors:
Downloads: (PDF) n/a